UMUC’s Career Services team recently hosted a Hot Career Tools Webinar to give students and alumni a general overview of UMUC CareerQuest’s self-service tools and new “Search Alert” feature.
The seven tools covered in the webinar provide students and alumni assistance with their resumes, interviews, career research, and overall preparation. Descriptions for the seven tools covered in the webinar and links to access them are below!
For help with your resume, check out:
- Resume Builder: Provides assistance with drafting your first resume. Once created, make your resume public in your CareerQuest profile. This tool also allows you to download your resume as a PDF.
- VMock: Receive 24/7 access to feedback on your resume content and format.
- Resunate: Allows you 24/7 access to assistance with customizing your resume to a specific position. Upload a resume and copy/paste a target job description to get started.
To practice your interview skills, use:
- Quinncia: Uses artificial intelligence to provide feedback on your verbal and non-verbal communication skills during a web-based interview. Interview questions are customized to your education and experience. Feedback includes count of filler words, eye contact, feedback on how quickly you talk, and more.
- Interview Stream: Want to practice a specific type of interview question? Choose from more than 7,000 pre-recorded questions to practice your interview skills in a web-based interview. Interviews are recorded for you to watch and/or send to an advisor or mentor.
To research a specific field or to gather preparatory information, visit:
- Vault: Receive industry-specific advice on resumes and interviews, check out day-in-the-life profiles, and more in Vault’s extensive library of electronic career guides. Also review lists of top employers by industry, top internship lists, and more.
- Candid Career: Choose from hundreds of videos to learn more about specific careers directly from professionals in those fields. Review career preparation advice from these professionals on topics like networking, resume writing, navigating a career fair, etc.
In addition to the tools covered, the webinar provided information about CareerQuest’s new “Search Alert” feature. In CareerQuest, the new Search Alerts feature allows students and alumni to set alerts for themselves to receive an email for when specific types of jobs/internships have been posted in CareerQuest as well as when new mentors join the mentor program who match their preferences.
All of these tools are exclusively for UMUC students and alumni through the CareerQuest portal. Don’t have a CareerQuest account? Visit careerquest.umuc.edu to create one today! Once you are there, click on the Tools/Resources section to access these tools and other great professional development content.
If you have any questions about CareerQuest or any of these tools, please reach out to email@example.com or (240) 684-2720.
Omega McIntosh is the program management specialist in the Office of Career Services at University of Maryland University College (UMUC). She’s worked in higher education for the past year and currently manages UMUC’s various online career tools and resources and the university’s Career Mentor Program. She has a background in office support and customer service, and most recently worked as the administrative assistant for UMUC’s Career Services team.